The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Egt gauge

I have taken my banks tuner out of the truck. It came with gauges and I am trying to get the EGT gauge to work without the tuner. My thermo couple has two wire coming from it and the gauge has 4 wire on the back. 2 for the light and 2 for the gauge. I disconnected the gauge wires and installed the 2 wire coming from the TC. I am getting a reading of 90* at idle and when I rev the engine the temp does go up, but I know it is reading low. There is no 12v power at the TC and I would think I need that to make the gauge work. I need a little help to make it work. Bare in mind you are talking to an electrical 1st grader here.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Just thinking out loud. Should I just take 12v to the light and jump it to the + lead on the gauge and solve my problem?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripley View Post
Just thinking out loud. Should I just take 12v to the light and jump it to the + lead on the gauge and solve my problem?
Dave, DON'T do that!! There was an amplifier in the tuner that the gauge used to give the proper reading. If you put 12v+ to eirther side of the gauge you will kill either the gauge or the thrermocouple or both. The only way that I know of is to either put the tuner back in or replace the gauge and thermocouple. The bad thing about replacing it is they run about $150 on the low end, but how much will it cost to replace pistons?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM

Well I did it. blew the fuse on the illumination circuit. Hope I did'nt blow anything else. I will find out tomorrow. I did not know the TC made its own volatge. The Ottomind is not going back in. I have been having trouble with my temp gauge reading low(140 to 165) and when I took it out the temp gauge started reading better but still low(170 to 180). I installed a mechanical under the hood a while back and it reads 190 pretty much all the time after warm up no matter what the dash gauge says. The lower the temp reading on the dash gauge the worse the truck would run. Any thing below 165 and the truck would defuel bad and below 150 the EGT and boost gauges would just stop working. both gauges fed thru the tuner. thats why I took it off. There is more with this than I can type. I was hoping to salvage this gauge because of the cost of a new one. I dont want to buy any pistons either.

Before removing the tuner the truck had gotten laggy and smokey down low and after removal I picked up some low end power and lost most of the smoke. She takes off real good, but when the boost builds it starts to defuel. My waste gate opens around 35 psi so I am thinking the ECM is doing that when I get much over 20 since I dont have any boost fooling with out the tuner. I would like to put an Edge comp in but will probably have to put some gauges in first to get home. I have to get over the mountains with the rv in tow.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Can you put in the Ottomind and not hook up to the ECM. Just to where you are using it for gauges?
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Hopefully all you did was pop a fuse, but there is not much chance your gauge will function properly without the correct amplifier so more than likely you will need to replace the gauge and thermocouple.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

I dont know about hooking the Ottomind back up, runs worse with it on, but does do the boost fooling for the ecm. I'll just have to watch that for now.

I did replace the blown fuse and all is well. The egt gauge is reading 150* at idle and only 400* cruising down the highway at 70 mph. so I know its way off. So I just broke down and bought a new set of gauges that work independent of any programmer I will install in the future. I have had an overboost code ever since I took the tuner off. Whats the chance that will throw the truck into limp mode since I have a 6 speed? So far the only affect I can feel is the engine de fueling when The boost is getting up there.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Seeing as I have a 12v, I don't know if you will get a limp mode from an over boost, but you are going to need a seperate boost fooler or another programmer to keep from setting a P0234 code. How does your truck run with the programmer off and with an over boost code?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM

It runs pretty good with out it. it had started getting laggy and smokey down low. Still had good power on the top end as long as my temp gauge was reading over 165*. When I took the tuner off it cleared up most of the smoke and I have more pep down low again. I still have decent power on the upper end if I roll into the throttle, if I just stand on it it starts to defuel when the boost builds. I am assuming the computer is trying to correct the over boost. I have had a 236 code since I removed the tuner. The truck just acts like I am partially lifting the pedal. The big test will be next week when I strap on the 5th wheel(15k) and drive back thru the Blue Ridge Mountains back home. The Ottomind took care of EGT's and kept it below 1250*. Thats why I bought the gauges. Looks like it Will be my job for now.I want to put an Edge comp on it, but have to watch my cash for the next little while.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Dave, DON'T do that!! There was an amplifier in the tuner that the gauge used to give the proper reading. If you put 12v+ to eirther side of the gauge you will kill either the gauge or the thrermocouple or both. The only way that I know of is to either put the tuner back in or replace the gauge and thermocouple. The bad thing about replacing it is they run about $150 on the low end, but how much will it cost to replace pistons?
Sure learned alot about thermo couples with this problem. I never new they were not powered.