The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Default death wobble

Hi guy's/ gals
I have been having problems with my 95 dodge 2500 series 4x4 long bed, I bought it new.
So, I have dealing with the dw ever since, Back in 2011 I replaced the whole front end (steering)
and it didn't get rid of it, so yesterday I bought a moog track bar and a heavy duty steering damper (rancho). took it for a test drive and it didn't get rid of the dw, this always happens at around 45 mph, if I get it below 45 or above 45 it goes away. It seems like when the trany shifts gears at that speed is when it happens. Another thing that I did when it started the dw I put it in neutral and the dw stopped. My 95 has a stock automatic trany. I'm also having the front end aligned along with the tries rebalanced tomorrow. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
luis
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Out There, Savin' Lives

Death Wobble, How to check steering components.

Does the truck death wobble while under power past 45 MPH? I.e. when accelerating to 65 MPH.

Since the death wobble happens and then goes away when you shift into neutral, have you replaced the u-joints and made sure that the driveshaft was clocked right?

Do you have a 2 piece driveshaft and have you checked the carrier bearing.

Have you looked at your tires for any bulges? This is an indication of a broken belt.
O.O., 01.5, Dodge, 2500, High Output (H.O.) Cummins Turbo Diesel (245/505), Quad Cab Long Bed (QCLB), 4x4, Sport, Original Bosch VP 44 Injection Pump, 6 Speed/NV5600 Transmission, 3.55 Gears, 105k, currently stock engine, Fram Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: Fuel Pressure (FP), Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), Oil Temperature, SMARTY@1, Airtex lift pump 19 psi @ idle, 14 psi @ WOT, Propane Injection, 2 Stroke Oil, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Fooler = Better MPG, Bed Lined, Chrome Nerf Bars, more to come!!

Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny
'05 Suzuki, GSX1300R, Hayabusa, All Stock, #3('00 blown engine, '00 stolen, & '05)
The complete live & learn and pass it on by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Strange that it quits when you put it in neutral. Soon as you put it back into gear and put power to it the DW starts again? Does it take any kind of a crack in the road or something to get it to start or does it do it every time no matter what? Generally the death wobble is from worn parts but you replaced them. Gonna take some thinking on this one.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM

What size tires?

How much lead in on each rim in how many spots?
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Default DW

Thanks for the replies guys,
stodg73, it stops under 45 and around 50mph. u-joints were replaced in 2011, I'll have a shop look at the drive shaft and the carrier bearing and it's a one piece shaft.

MnTom, I'll have to find a back road to give me enough time to put it back into drive and keep it at 45mph. No it doesn't matter what type of road I'm driving on, it's when the transmission shifts
gears and it speeds up, it lunges the truck forward that's when the dw starts. I"m running LT285/75r16's on stock rims, they're going to get rebalanced today. I talked to the owner of the shop and he said that he would split the weights.

Mopar1973 man, there are quite a few weights on the rims, I don't know how many ounces though, and yes, there is 2 distinct depressions on one of the tires, almost opposite of each other.

I'll post what the shops had to say when I get back

thanks
luis
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I have more questions. Have you tried running the truck with O/D locked out at the speed the DW occurs? Does the DW go away when you just let out of the throttle?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis View Post
Mopar1973 man, there are quite a few weights on the rims, I don't know how many ounces though, and yes, there is 2 distinct depressions on one of the tires, almost opposite of each other.
Poor quality or defect of tire(s). It seems like bigger you go in tire sizes the more and more weight you tend to see on tires these days. Also as tires get taller the rotational mass is greater so it takes even less of a offset of be out of balanced. Kind of like a figure skater spinning on the ice as she tighten up small in size spins faster and when she kick a leg out starts to wobble. Well basically as you go up in tire size and have bigger offset takes a very small amount of imbalance to make the front axle start to hop. Being the front suspension was never designed for 285's and larger this one of a few reasons for death wobble.

The 2 depressions is a clue its balancing problem. A true balance wheel and tire will roll smoothly and not hop. Being the depressions are there most likely a balancing or maybe someone locked up the tires and got a skid going?

Being I ditched my stock rims and got a set of 16x7 with 235's I rarely ever see lead on my rims if so they are less than 1 ounce. Even back when I ran 265's I was fussy and wouldn't accept a tire with more that a 3 ounce single rim weight. If using tape weights I've seen tires with well over 6-8 ounces. This is a sign of a defective tire or poor quality.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Default dw

Well, found out some things at the alignment shop:1- my alignment was good and caster was set at -3 so they are going to put shims to fix the caster. they had the truck for 1 1/2 hours everything checked out ok but one of the tires was bad - out of round by 1/4''.
2- went to the shop to have the tires rebalanced, 1 tire out 3 oz and out of round, owner said the tire is now true (passenger side) drivers side tire out 1 1/2 oz. I didn't have time to check for the dw after all this but will check tomorrow .

MnTom, No, I haven't tried running the truck with the od locked out and the dw does stop when I let of the pedal.
Mopar1973 man, you made good points, they all applied to my tires. I need to get better quality tires and wider rims for that size of tires. What would running the truck with the od locked do?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Administrator

The first thing is to have the alignment shop set the front end to these specs:
Setting Left Wheel- Right Wheel Caster 3.2 3.5 Camber -0.10 -0.10 Cross Caster -0.3 Cross Camber 0.0 Toe Standard specs, (maybe a little out if you tow a lot, they will pull in as the front end lifts up).
Not enough caster will cause problems and most shops will tell you "It is within specs" when more caster seems to be better.
Far as locking out O/D, I was wondering if the torque convertor was shuddering real bad and if you were feeling that since the DW happens about when the convertor locks up. When mine was bad the whole truck would jump up and down when it slipped.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxtorq

Huh put shims for caster? Wrong!

Caster on these trucks are fixed at the axle. Not even the lower wheel base cam bolts will gain you anything either.

Fact:

The front end steering on these trucks are garbage under the sheer weight of the Cummins @ 1013 lbs. it strains the steering joints. The fix is proper alignment followed by a Third Gen track bar upgrade and a DSS bar.

You say you replaced the entire front end? Does this include ball joints, wheel bearings and here's the kicker the Steerig Gear box?