The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Default dw

MnTom, When the tech took the truck for a test drive and trying to keep it at 45, he did say something about the converter, it didn't mean anything to me, I'll have to ask on Tuesday. What do mean when you say shruddering? As one can tell by the questions I ask I don't know much about the dynamics/logistics of my truck.

Maxtorq, I replaced the track bar with a moog one, what is a dss bar? Yes, I had everything replaced and the gear box replaced in March of last year. I even had a bar that ties the frame and gear box together ( forgot the name ) Maxtorq, when I said shims, I meant cam bolts.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Administrator

The bar that you siad you have sounds like the one that Maxtorq is referring to. Far as the torque converter, when it starts to fail the engine has more power than the converter can handle. This will cause it to slip-grab, slip-grab, slip-grab and on and on until you reduce power. That in turn will make the truck shudder. If that is what is going on then you are risking the whole transmission due to the clutch lining in the converter shredding and plugging up the oil lines and passages in the transmission. When that happens you wind up tearing your transmission all apart and rebuilding it.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Default dw

MnTom, WOW, thanks for the heads up, I think that's what the tech was saying about the converter.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Administrator

IF you do need parts and advice call Maxtorq. http://www.maxtorqdiesel.com/ You will get a straight answer (you may not like the answer!!) but you can take it to the bank.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxtorq

Again the stock track bar is garbage.

The permanent fix is a 3rd gen track bar with a Solid Steel retro for bracket.

Look at this site http://www.solidsteel.biz

As far as the torque converter go's we call it " shutter."

Basically like Tom said the converter has clutches in it. Once they burn up the converter can not maintain fluid coupling.

Can you take pictures of the underside for us?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 PM

Default dw

Maxtorq, The dss is what I installed last year, it was bought from a co. in the mid west. I thought that the moog track bar was an up grade from the factory, at least it looks like it. I can't take it back until it goes bad. If and when it does fail, I'll get the 3rd generation up grade. I'll take pictures of the under side when I clean it up, to much power steering fluid all over. When I replaced the gear box I put the wrong fluid in and it kept foaming up and coming out the cap

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 PM

Actually the front ends on these truck are just fine stock form. Like myself I've only replace 1 set of ball joints and 1 track bar on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) I've now got 224k on the clock. Most of my travels are offroad since the only paved road is highway. As for my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 (Magnum V8) its still got stock front end part even at 151k miles and stll rolling. Both truck are rolling on 235/85 R16 which is a stock size tire for the 1 ton trucks.

The biggest problem is everyone loves larger wheels and tires. This creates a problem when you look at leverage angles and how they effect the parts of the steering system. You know the old saying, "Give me a lever long enough I can move the world!" This is true in the front ends of the Dodge Ram's. The larger the tires the more leverage you placing on all the parts ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, etc. Then when you look at the weight difference of tires and add that with height it takes very little offset to balance to make a huge mess. So take a out of balance small ricer wheel (+/- 1 ounce) and smaller wheel and tires you can travel much faster before you feel it. But now have the same (+/- 1 ounce) in a 35" tire you'll feel the hop at much lower speeds. This is because of the leverage forces and where the offset of weight is at in relationship to the hub of the axle.

So like most people they are not bothered by a bit of miss balance nor a bit a slop in the steering they gotta be at work a hour ago so off to the races they go do the highway till the Death Wobble start and the driver grows teeth in the seat of his pants. Then he realizes he's got a problem but doesn't realize his modding of tires and wheel created the problem.

I'm not saying you can't have oversized tires but you'll have to stay on top of your game and check wheel balance more often, rotate tire often, inspect the front end for wear more often, maybe add steering braces, and other things to counter act the forces of the large wheels and tires.

As for me I'll keep my 235's...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 01-24-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Default dw

Nice snaps, that's what what I'm talking about, is the wood pine or some sort of hard wood?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxtorq

Well ok.

Let's just say I do a fair amount of these issues with customers that had both large and stock tires all with the same results.

Rule of thumb for every one pound of rolling weight equals tens times the rolling mass.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtorq View Post
Well ok.

Let's just say I do a fair amount of these issues with customers that had both large and stock tires all with the same results.

Rule of thumb for every one pound of rolling weight equals tens times the rolling mass.
Bingo.

Here is a article about that.
http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis View Post
Nice snaps, that's what what I'm talking about, is the wood pine or some sort of hard wood?
(Apline Fir and Red Fir) Approx. 2.2 cords on the trailer.

Lets say with my current configuration with 235's I can touch 27.2 MPG as a high mark, I've got enough power to break the tires loose in 2nd or 3rd gear. I designed it that way. This is so as I continue to build power I would rather spin the tire loose than has oversize tires trapping torque in the drive-line and then break the next weakest part (most likely the input shaft of the NV4500).

Don't get me wrong I do have a set of 265's Cooper STT's in the shop if I really plan on get nuts going off road.

Just to make you think. Go to a tire shop and ask to look at a racing slick and then pick it up and weigh it? Then go back and grab one of your 285's and weigh it. You'll be shocked at weigh difference.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 5 Speed NV4500 transmission, 4x4, 3.55 Gears, AirDog 150 fuel pump with 1/2" Big Line Kit, Stock Bosch VP44 Injection Pump, Bosch RV275 Injectors +40HP, Edge Comp Performance Box, BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter), Stock Holset HX35W Turbo, Straight 3" Pipe Exhaust, Crankcase Vent Mod, High Idle Mod, MPG / IAT fooler Mod, ScanGauge II, 25% Tinted Windows, DiPricol Gauges (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyrometer), 235/85 R16 tires mounted on 16x7 Aluminum mags (weighing 62#), Custom Fog Lights, Custom Backup lights, Silverstar Headlights, 23-24 MPG

1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L Magnum V8 Gasoline Engine, 46RE Automatic Transmission, 4WD with CAD axle with 3.55 Gears, Mopar Performance PCM, Gutted Kitty, ScanGauge II, 35% Tinted Windows, 16-17 MPG

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 01-25-2014 at 09:11 AM.