The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Dodge Cummins Forum

Dodge Cummins Forum Dodge Cummins Forum

Old 03-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Certainly not the same as the 24 valve design. Maybe the jiggle pin thermostat design was created for the 24v engines as Cummins eliminated the bypass.....?
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, RV275's, 4" without muffler, no silencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Fast Coolers/exhaust blanket, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000's, Custom Diesel steering box brace, 285's
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Certainly not the same as the 24 valve design. Maybe the jiggle pin thermostat design was created for the 24v engines as Cummins eliminated the bypass.....?
Entirely possible! I know the 24V t'stat is a larger diameter, but haven't looked at them to closely. I guess that's what I get for owning a 12 valve!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Hey dont knock the 12 valve. Put that puppy on the market and you'll be inundated with activity. People want all 2nd gen trucks.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, RV275's, 4" without muffler, no silencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Fast Coolers/exhaust blanket, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000's, Custom Diesel steering box brace, 285's
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hey dont knock the 12 valve. Put that puppy on the market and you'll be inundated with activity. People want all 2nd gen trucks.
Mine AIN'T FOR SALE!! Well, maybe for the right price, but you know what I mean....LOL.
I have been thinking, since the drive pulley is about 3 times smaller than the crank pulley the stock pump is going to be running 3 times what the RPM is. So that means it could be running the pump at almost 6000 RPM driving at 70 MPH. Does that sound reasonable?
I wonder if this would be a decent way to go except for how expensive they are:

There won't be the pressure building that you would have with the stock.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 AM

I'm not sure but I certainly can hear your gears churning from here..... After 40 something posts it clearly sounds to me like you need to be having this discussion with some serious 12 valve guru's. My forte is the 24 valve so my helpful knowledge is limited, and by all means I dont want to steer you wrong. But do let me know what you end up doing or finding out since I'm still curious.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Well, my real problem is since I am no longer working it gets a bit harder to buy the parts on a fixed income (I retired on a disability in Aug. '13). Since it was not a planned retirement, well........ I still want to try to figure out a way to make the system work more like it should be doing. I wonder if there is a way to put a by-pass from the head close to the t'stat to around the lower radiator hose? HHmmm. I may decide to play with that idea once the temperature warms up some. It was 11* when I got up this morning.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Aren't you supposed to be heading south to Florida after retirement? Duluth is too cold for old bones.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Aren't you supposed to be heading south to Florida after retirement? Duluth is too cold for old bones.
That or Arizona.... We had 70 days this winter where the temperature was below zero. The previous record was 59 days. I have a standing invite to go to St Helena Island SC. The only thing I need to do is dig my trailer out and get it ready for use and that takes warmer weather so then there is no reason to head south..... Besides, I am only 58 years old......
Old 03-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Its really no fun when you take the joke seriously.....

If I lived anywhere near ya I'd come help dig that trailer out. Even though I'm not terribly younger than you either. OK, that was a joke too.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Administrator

I knew you were joking..... Just hard to read sarcasm in typing.. Actually, I can get the trailer out, but I need warmer weather to check bearings, see how bad the suspension is worn, check things out in general. I hope to be working on it by next month,but the way this winter is going who knows when I can work on it. I do have my generator to get going so I can work on that I guess.....